TV advertisers make up the vast majority of brands moving media dollars to in-stream video. More than 90% of their online video creative is the same as, or a variation of, the ads they run on TV.
Brands are getting innovative in the use of Mobile Video with Mobile Apps Vine and Instagram that reach the target audience cost effectively.
According to research, for a CPG brand, mobile video ad significantly over-indexed for the same ad across platforms:
General Ad Recall: Mobile video was 2.7x more effective than online and 1.6x more effective than TV. Brand Recall: Mobile video was 4.8x more effective than online and 5.8x more effective than TV. Message Recall: Mobile video was 5.6x more effective than online and 7.5x more effective than TV. Purchase Intent: Mobile video was 2.5x more effective than online and 3.8x more effective than TV.
TV advertisers make up the vast majority of brands moving media dollars to in-stream video. More than 90% of their online video creative is the same as, or a variation of, the ads they run on TV. Here are some key insights to guide your creative allocation and optimization for a Mobile Campaign.
Insights from Mobile Advertising
1. Ad units in-app contribute to 99 % of all mobile ad impressions.
2. Ad Formats that work for Banners and video
Ad formats that work for SmartPhone users according to MoPub* Insights for June 2013:
- The most popular display ad formats in Q1, by percentage of impressions, were 728×90 (39.9%) and 300×250 (38.3%).
- The 320×50 unit was easily the leading mobile ad format, at 74.9% of impressions, though
- that was down from 88.5% share in Q1.
- The leading video ad formats were 15-second pre-rolls (43%) and 30-second pre-rolls (38.4%).
Hyper-local Ad Targeting with Location Based Advertising
Restaurants can run effective Location based campaigns to increase traffic, as 95 % of smartphone users conduct restaurant searches. Applebee’s promotion for mobile has relevant messaging. The Applebee’s mobile banner ad reads “See You Tomorrow. Applebee’s.”When consumers tap on the mobile ad, the company asks them if it is OK to use their current location – consumers can choose either “Don’t Allow” or “OK.”
Targeting customers with rich data profiles is possible by mapping the user information to the area and likely demographics and deducing data based on ads served.
In a Case Study by MoPub, Factual was able to identify 7.5B unique data events and categorize over 25M users from nearly 1,000 metro areas into categories like Electronics Buyers,Moviegoers and Healthcare Workers. They were able to estimate household income, identify likely home and work metro area, and others.
View the video below to understand how a rich media profile of a consumer can be created for improved Ad Targeting.
1. Using Mobile Video in-apps for branding is effective for branding and contests and reaching audiences cost effectively.
2. Location-based Marketing is significant for response driven advertising where users are most likely to convert.
3. Mobile Rich display formats tend to get better response and can work for both brand building as well as response driven advertising.
4. Integrating campaigns with an app can create better brand recall and conversions at location with offers and deals.
* MoPub is the world’s leading ad server for smartphone app publishers, designed to
drive more ad revenue through a single solution. Factual is Location platform that enables
development of personalized, contextually relevant mobile experiences.
Image courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net