Facebook’s revenues from Mobile are at 78 percent in Q3, 2015 up from 66 percent in Q2, 2015. With Mobile playing an increasingly important role in Holiday shopper’s path to purchase Facebook has upped the game with advertising options tailored for targeting the mobile shopper. Brands and Local businesses now have a number of options available to them for targeting audiences at a location with the option of customizing ads with a suitable call-to-action and customizing offers as well as creative.
Facebook’s new campaign objectives allow advertisers to set up campaigns for offer claims that allow advertisers to promote timely offers ensuring that their best customers can get relevant offers. This is a new level of response driven marketing that is bound to engage loyal customers for a store where the right offer is available to the deal seeking shopper at the right time.
Facebook Insights now give information about the audiences that are in the vicinity of the local store. Furthermore, the data available to marketers will also feature if the audiences in the local area zone have seen any of the ads, allowing Brand Marketers to retarget audiences and sequence creative accordingly.
The Insights available to marketers will also feature the age demographic of the audience, and the distance from the store. The data is reported at an aggregate level under the location settings tab in account settings from the More section in Facebook mobile App. Read More about insights on AdAge.com
“Local awareness ads allow businesses using Locations for Pages—a tool for connecting and managing business Pages with multiple store locations—to use information from each of their Pages to add dynamic ad copy, links and call-to-action buttons to their ads, so each ad is localised for its corresponding store.
For example, if a cafe with multiple locations in the San Francisco Bay Area decides to run local awareness ads, they could choose to automatically populate the city name in their ad copy, depending on where the people seeing the ad are. So, people in Menlo Park would see “Join us for lunch in Menlo Park,” while people in San Francisco would see “Join us for lunch in San Francisco.” Call-to-action buttons are also dynamic, so when someone clicks on the “Call Now” or “Get Directions” button, they’re connected to the store currently closest to them. This helps advertisers spend more efficiently, since they’re only connecting with people likely to visit the store and the information they share is hyper-local and relevant”.
Facebook’s campaign objectives such as Offer Claims and Lead Generation have increased the ability for Brands and Retailers to zone in and target audiences with Location-based marketing initiatives. To define the Facebook Ad Campaign objective, begin with segmenting your audiences based on the stage of customer journey, Frequency of purchase, customer value and Loyalty. For each program and segment their can be more than one Ad objective. For example you can use lead generation for Rewards program sign ups as well as promoting gift guides to your existing rewards program members with a simple CTA of “Know more”.
Key Takeaways for Brand Marketers and Advertisers
- Brand Marketers and Retailers can now create Offers that are customized for a location depending on the segments that are being targeted and the offers that are likely to work for the segment. Marketers need to look at conversion lift from their campaigns for each stage of customer journey from the creative approach to arrive at the right sequencing strategy for the creative. If Offers are best received at a certain stage then Local Awareness Ads can be used to target audiences at a location, i.e. at home or near the store. A local awareness ad for a Retail brand may work at home for categories that are planned purchases where as an Impulse purchase for a Coffee may work closer to a store location. For example, Brands that would like to increase sign-ups or downloads can further improve audience targeting, by looking at location insights and building the same in campaign objective. If the app downloads for your app with a linked offer are higher when audiences are near the store, then campaign objectives and ad copy creative can be accordingly adapted to increase conversions.
- Response driven advertising has a new meaning with Offer Claims as the offers can now be based to target different audience segments. This would mean customizing offers depending on demographic and interests and location. If music and video streaming offers work better with your core target audience, then setting a campaign for offer claims objective with interest can create a meaningful value proposition for your target audience. Accordingly the offers can vary for different segments during Holiday Season such as Early bird shoppers, Prime Season Shoppers and Last-Minute Shoppers.
- Creative and Content that works best for your Campaign and business objective for different audience segments, could mean a new value proposition for your target audience. With Local Awareness, Content and context can be further used to target audiences at scale depending on customer value, frequency of purchase and stage of customer journey.
- Further to creating a more relevant value proposition, Facebook campaign objective can help brands target segments such as early bird shoppers and prime season shoppers with different ad creative and optimize the same for different objectives such as Offer claims and Local Awareness.
- Updating the buyer journey and engagement strategy for each segment can help brands and advertisers determine the objectives that are likely to bring in more conversions.